Meat is always better when you put it on a stick! This Indonesian dish is easy and fast, you can make it into an appetizer, a quick and easy snack, or a full meal with rice and vegetable.
- 1 lb chicken thigh or tender
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 8 skewers
- (OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter; 1 cloves garlic; 1 hot chili peppers; 1/2-inch gingerroot; 3 tbsp brown sugar; 1 cups unsweetened coconut milk; 1 tbsp soy sauce; 1/4 tbsp molasses; 2 tbsp fresh lime juice)
How to make this:
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes, finely mince the garlic
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper, and cumin. Place chicken into the mixture, marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, at most 3 hours
- Preheat the grill on high heat, this will quickly cook the chicken without burning it
- Place the chicken onto the skewers, and save marinade. Grill skewers about 3 minutes per side, then brush on a layer of the marinade and grill for another 3 to 4 min. Don’t use the marinate after.
- OPTIONAL: Heat up the coconut milk in a pan, then mix in the chunky peanut butter, minced garlic, chopped hot chili peppers, minced gingerroot, brown sugar, soy sauce, molasses and fresh lime juice, cook it on low until the peanut sauce thickens, sprinkle on some crushed peanut for better texture
- Serve it with some peanut sauce, rice or vegetable