Pretzels are one of those things that look hard to make, but are actually really, really easy. And, to be honest, I don’t want to go to a shopping mall every time I want some warm soft pretzels. This recipe makes about 8 standard size pretzels.
You’ll need: 1 1/2 cups warm water; 1 tbsp sugar; 2 tsp salt; 7 g dry yeast; 630 g flour; 50 g unsalted butter; 10 cups water; 2/3 cup baking soda; flaky salt
How to make this:
- Mix the 1 1/2 cups warm water and yeast to wake them up, then mix in the melted butter, flour, salt, and sugar, add more flour if the dough is too sticky
- Knead the dough by hand for 10 min, then let it sit for at least 1 hours
- Slice the dough into 8 equal pieces, stretch the dough into a 1 1/2 ft long rope, twist the two ends and fold it back to the center
- Mix the 10 cups of water and baking soda, then heat up the water to simmer, cook each pretzel for 1 min, then when it’s still wet, sprinkle on some salt
- Bake the pretzels for 10 min in a 205C/400F oven, brush on a layer of butter, then bake for another 5 min